The safety of infants and children in the pool is a concern of parents. Learning to defend oneself in the water is one of the teachings that begin to take place each time at an earlier age, not only because of the benefits that swimming has for the baby, but also to avoid unnecessary dangers and, for this, the monitors help each other made of material composed mainly of cork.
Cruz Lobo, swimming instructor, explains what they are the most suitable swimming materials for children to use until they can defend themselves autonomously in the water.
'We we do not work with sleeves or floats because we have seen that they are not suitable, 'explains Cruz Lobo. The cuffs prevent easy movement of the arms and keep the baby in balance, but nothing else, just like the float.
The baby will stay in a neutral position, moving his legs, but the moment we remove the cuffs, he will not know what to do with his arms. Therefore, although at first it may seem that the cuffs are fine to maintain balance better, it will prevent them from moving their arms well in a correct posture.
With lifelong floats, babies turn over, if we are not aware they can turn and lie face down without being able to turn over again on their own to float.
Experts recommend these materials for babies and children who are new to swimming:
1. Cork board. In a more personalized way, a baby of about five months can start with a cork board, which has a very large base and an adjustable hole where we put the child. With the table, the baby will acquire balance. 'We must keep the baby on the table, letting it go and grabbing it little by little, or giving it a hand,' explains Cruz Lobo.
2. Churro. The next step is the churrito with its connector, where the child would go inside with the connector centered in the front. With this material it costs more to maintain the balance than with the board, because it has less base. Here balance and flotation begin to work, while we are holding and releasing little by little until the child acquires autonomy.
3. Full belt. The entire belt is worn initially with two small boards or two corks. With this material it is more difficult for them to maintain balance. With each step, we always add more difficulty and babies have to work harder to stay and move. Learning must be done with great patience and without haste.
4. Cork belt. Later we use a cork belt that we put on the back. Normally, three corks are placed on the back and two on the front, and as it progresses, we remove small boards.
5. Corks in the swimsuit. The easiest step is to place the corks in the swimsuit and remove them. We continue in a vertical position, only when they carry two or three small boards is when the child begins to go more horizontal.
If the material has already been lowered, we should never upload it, but if you go to the beach or a pool in other conditions, where the water is colder or more unsettled, we can put some more small boards because it will cost them more to move at first. .
When they are a little older free churrito is recommended, a material compatible with any of the above, which offers them freedom and helps them go a little more inclined.
A baby should not spend more than half an hour in a water stimulation class because they get tired. "We recommend 20 classes a month, distributed according to the parents' availability, but we always advise them that the more followed the classes the better," explains Cruz Lobo.
According to the monitor, the best time to go to the pool with the baby is in the morning, since in the afternoon the children are more tired and may perform less.
You can read more articles similar to Babies in the water. Necessary material, in the category of on-site swimming.