Learning what is a gerund, is a game to teach verbs to children. You will see how in this way it is much easier for them to learn to conjugate verbs correctly.
We explain how to play 'Learning what is a gerund' with your children.
To play we will need:
- Two drawers, bags or containers to put the cards of the verbs and pronouns.
- Cardstock with adhesive to make the cards
- Colored markers
- Three ropes (can be on a blackboard)
1. We will start by doing different cards in which we will write actions, in present, past and future tense, of the three conjugations. Behind each word will appear the verb that is conjugated and the conjugation to which it belongs. We will put these cards in a drawer or container that we will call VERBS.
In such a way that if they choose the card with the word 'you play', behind it will appear the Infinitive 'jugAR' of the first conjugation.
2. On the other hand we will make another drawer that we will call PRONOUNS in which there will be two sections: MALE AND FEMALE.
We will make some new cards in which we will write the personal pronouns and we will introduce them in this drawer (each pronoun in its section and the common in both)
3. Then we will make three signs PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE that we will place as the head of the three eighths.
4. We can make some special sections in which they are placed the Participles and Gerunds in which case they will go directly to their corresponding place.
5. If the card is chosen by a girl, she must choose between the pronouns in the feminine section (she, us, you and them). If it is a boy, you must choose between the pronouns in the masculine section (he, we, you and them). In the two sections you will also find the common pronouns, me and tú.
6. The first child will choose a card from the verbs drawer, then they must choose another card from the pronouns drawer and see that it agrees in gender and number with yours. Next, you must paste them in the present, past or future box as appropriate.
- The child will read his card aloud «I will play» and turning the card over will say: «Infinitive« PLAY », from the first conjugation». Next you will go to the drawer of pronouns. If he chooses, you, he will have to return it and take a new one, until the correct pronoun for his card appears, which would be YO. Once the pronoun and the verb agree, the child will paste it in the future square that would be the correct one.
- If the "Play" card comes out, if she is a girl, she will choose the pronoun, if it is a boy, she must choose the pronoun he.
In such a way that they will learn that «I will play», is from the verb to play, its infinitive is to play, it is from the first conjugation and it is future. You can finish conjugating the corresponding verb together.
You will play,
He (she) will play,
We (we) will play,
You (you) will play,
They (they) will play.
7. It is recommended to start with simple verbs. Depending on the age and learning level of the children, the difficulty of the game can be increased. To make it more fun, the little ones can cuddle and act out the chosen verb, jump, eat, drink, drive, etc.
You can read more articles similar to Game to teach children to conjugate verbs, in the On-site Learning category.