Debating is discuss two or more people on one or more topics by presenting their ideas and defending their opinions and interests. The moderator will be in charge of directing and controlling the debate, of dividing the times and giving turns to speak to each opponent. The participants will be grouped according to the position they are going to defend.
To make the main point of a debate shifts will be takenIn such a way that each participant can express their point of view in a set time that will be the same for all and determined at the beginning of the debate. But ... how to teach all this to children? With these great tips.
To debate we must take into account some recommendations:
1. It is essential to be well informed about the topic to be discussed and decide the position that we are going to defend. Investigating and preparing the debate is to make sure we also understand the opposite position in order to be able to answer correctly and clarify doubts.
2. Make a brief and logical statement of our position and the reasons why we support it, based on evidence, statistics, providing reliable evidence and sources. Time is money in a debate and it is better to get to the point with short and clear interventions and not to linger in our presentation.
3. Speak with a pleasant voice and with a volume high enough it will make them pay more attention, because a monotonous voice will lead to boredom and will be misunderstood.
4. Ask questions and answer to the replicas of our opponents.
5. If possible, try to turn our opponent's arguments around and use them against him.
6. We must not monopolize the conversation so that there are exchanges of ideas, for this we will give the floor to our opponent when appropriate.
7. Avoid repeating the same arguments and use fillers it will constantly make them listen to us with more interest.
8. We must be clear that in a debate the main arguments of our opponents are attacked, never to people.
9. Not get excited. Staying calm, not raising your voice or shouting, being reasonable, are essential things to have a successful debate. We all know that there are television and radio programs in which debates are held where everyone speaks at the same time, yells at each other, gets angry, disrespects each other and, it seems more like a cockfight than what is intended. A debate should always be civil and not intimidating. If we yell and lose control we will only show our opponent our weaknesses and lack of education.
10. If we use arguments based on emotions, we speak confidently, we gesture and maintain eye contact with our opponent, we enjoy and are passionate about our exposition, we will certainly make them pay more attention and the debate will be more successful.
It is about speaking intelligently to convince our opponent of the position we defend and never impose our idea at all costs. Argue logically, make good presentations and enjoy, are essential assets to win a debate.
In the event of a discussion for young children it is essential choose a topic that is attractive and of interest to them. Two groups will be made according to the position they are going to defend, a moderator will be appointed and the rest of the children can act as public.
- The child or adult who acts as the moderator will open the debate making a brief presentation of the subject on which it is going to debate and the rules that will have to follow during the same. It's about listening and learning from each other.
- They will raise their hands to ask for a turn to speak and they will have to wait patiently until the moderator indicates that they can speak. In no case will mockery or insults be allowed under penalty of expulsion.
- With the debate we will seek that children participate actively so that little by little they develop their critical sense. We will promote teamwork, respect and discipline. We will make it very clear that all the rules that have been agreed at the beginning of the debate must be respected.
Finally, keep in mind, that you always learn something from a debate and we must congratulate our opponent if he is victorious.
To finish I leave you a phrase: 'In life your words are as important as the way you say them.
You can read more articles similar to How to teach children to debate, in the On-site Learning category.