In general, education methods are rooted in the use of punitive disciplines based on punishment, something that causes negative effects. When looking for other alternatives, parents go to the other extreme and give the child an exaggerated permissiveness.
The use of these authoritarian or so permissive methods is due to the daily fatigue and monotony of routines that parents suffer and makes them unable to stop to think if there are other ways of education.
Positive discipline emerges as an effective alternative to these 2 educational models. This It is based on collaboration, on respect, involving the child in responsibility and autonomy, in affection, in freedom of action, in the involvement of children and in the development of the child in a healthy and happy way. Furthermore, from the point of view of this model, there are no bad or good children, but good and bad behavior.
The goal of this type of education is that children understand the rules that will make them safe. This discipline should not be understood as an imposition of these norms, but as a means by which the child develops in a healthy and happy way and as something that shows them the way to be responsible for their actions and that every action has a consequence. . That it also helps them to learn the proper way to know how to behave and act in each situation.
In this way, positive discipline seeks to promote the maturation of children so that in the future they are responsible, autonomous and happy.
To educate from this model it is necessary to remember that the use of physical and verbal punishment should be avoided and away from the imposition of norms and guidelines. Since the child must learn and not obey. Some positive discipline techniques are as follows:
- Praise what you like. Ponder, count and relive those moments in which the child behaves well. They are a way of reinforcing the behaviors that you want to repeat.
- Give routines. Establishing habitual norms will prevent unwanted behaviors. If, for example, the child knows that after playing he must pick up, it makes him understand that if one day he does not put the toys away, he will be acting badly and this will have consequences that he does not like and that he must bear. So, he will try to get it right.
- Adult control. Bad behavior can be described as a "poorly made" wake-up call. The child understands that you spend more time with him when he adopts positions of this type. Pay no attention when the little one behaves in an unacceptable way, instead of arguing with him. This way you will learn that there are better ways to communicate. There are times when a tense situation arises and you know that what you have done is very wrong. It is difficult to keep calm, but you have to think that you should not do in front of the child what you do not want them to do later. Try leaving the place where your little one is or try relaxation exercises. Wait until you've calmed down and go back inside.
- Ask instead of ordering. This way we make sure that the child knows the answer and we give him the freedom to do things or not knowing the consequences of his actions. In this way the child learns to behave and not to obey blindly. For example, what to do now? And let the child respond.
- Advance notice. Before the activity you are doing ends, tell him and remind him what is coming so that he does not get caught out of the blue.
- Give behavioral options. Give to choose the order in which they want to do the tasks to be done. For example, do you prefer to shower before or after dinner?
- Rewards table. Setting clear limits and rules in writing can make it clear for the child that a number of well-done actions are being reinforced
- The example of parents. It is the best positive discipline technique. Children imitate all the behaviors that attract their attention if there are no other alternatives, so parents have to act consistently to serve as a model for the little ones.
You can read more articles similar to Positive discipline techniques for children, in the category Limits - Discipline on site.