What methods are most often recommended when hiccups appear in an infant?
Hiccups in an infant are physiology
Hiccups can annoy newborns, it is very common in infants and less common in older children. Many mothers experience it during pregnancy, when they register regular waving of the abdomen. Infants may have hiccups several times a day, some of them, due to their temperament, are particularly exposed to the characteristic sound.
Hiccuping is nothing but uncontrolled diaphragm contractions due to nerve irritation resulting in young children from immaturity of the nervous system.
Causes of baby hiccups
Some children are prone to hiccups because of their temperament. They are usually babies who:
- they greedily eat
- are impatient when sucking a breast or bottle,
- often have full crunches and experience the feeling of "overeating",
- they are expressive - hiccups can appear when a child laughs.
Hiccups also appearwhen the child is cold. It is worth checking if the baby has a warm neck, or should it not be covered with a warmer blanket.
Hiccups in an infant - what to do?
Unfortunately, they are still practiced among the youngest children hiccup methods that are used in adults:
- stuffy nose
- frightening a child
- serving sugar, lemon juice.
It is better, however, not to reach for these old ways ...
It is definitely a better idea to check if:
- the child is not cold and covers the baby, if any,
- after eating - raising the child to an upright position and waiting for it to bounce,
- breast feeding
- provision of warm drinking water.
Remember that baby hiccups do not cause pain. It will pass by itself. You don't have to do anything, no help is needed, because nothing bad is happening to your child.
However, if the hiccups last an hour or longer and it happens very often, it is worth mentioning to your doctor to see if the cause of the hiccups is more serious.