A child who is 16 months old is nothing like a consensual yearling who wanted to please everyone. Protest, rebellion and own opinion - come to the fore in this age. A wise parent knows this and does not fight the obvious and physiological.
Relax, it will pass. Support and consistent setting of borders will allow you to survive a difficult time.
A toddler at 16 months old is quite a big little man who understands a lot, knows a lot and uses this knowledge every day.
What can a child do before they are 16 months old?
Just before the age of 16 months, a child can:
- imitate activities - rock the doll to sleep, drive a baby pram, feed the teddy bear, imitate the movement of brushing teeth, combing, stroking,
- scribble over a sheet of paper,
- showing basic body parts
The child usually also can:
- use 3 words intentionally (for example mom, dad, give, lala, baba, halo, "am", "aja"),
- throw an object, imitating the movement of an adult,
- to perform two-stage-three-stage commands (e.g. put aside, take it, bring)
Sometimes a child can:
- use 6 words
- to run,
- climb ladders
- signal physiological needs,
- alone, though awkwardly, to eat,
- kick the ball,
- brush the teeth with an adult.
Hesitation, eating and other eating problems
Small, healthy children eat exactly as much as they need. Even if their parents think they are eating air, this is rarely true. Usually, the toddler gets everything he needs from food.
The parent can decide what the child eats. However, it does not affect how much he eats. And such a system should be considered the best and respect it.
Another issue that often worries parents is a changeable appetite. One day the child eats more, the other may not eat anything. It happens that on Monday a toddler will eat a huge dinner, but he will not touch breakfast or dinner, and on Tuesday he will eat from each meal a bit, while on Wednesday he will refuse even his favorite dishes.
Eating problems in a small child - is there a good way to do it?
Yes. And it's very simple. Calm. If you force your child to eat or limit his meals, your child may doubt that he or she has basic knowledge about appetite, which will have very bad consequences in the future.
Instead, focus on giving your child balanced, varied meals. Thanks to this child will be able to control the amount of calories consumed by himself, adjusting the portion size to his needs.