And although quadrupling is not obligatory, most specialists believe that it is better when the child moves in this way. The more that you can stimulate the baby to like "walking" on all fours.
The basis is frequent putting the toddler on his tummy and "smart laziness". The idea is not to take care of the child in everything, sometimes allowing him to get tired. Thanks to this, the baby will try to reach for an interesting item. Will have the motivation to go out into the world.
Crawling is not conducive to:
- constantly putting the child on his back,
- frequent wearing
- leaving the child in a playpen, cot or deckchair for a long time,
- putting the baby in the walker,
- stimulating to get up, i.e. holding the hand.
- crawling forces the cooperation of both brain hemispheres,
- correctly sets the acetabulum,
- helps shape the natural curvature of the spine,
- strengthens the muscles stabilizing the spine (muscles of the abdomen, back, shoulders, neck, loin),
- puts feet in the right position (not crooked),
- improves the child's wrists,
- forces coordination of both limbs,
- causes symmetrical muscle development,
- prepares to walk better (in a horizontal position it is easier to maintain balance, thanks to which the crawling baby is better prepared for walking alone),
- crawling stimulates physical development,
- babies crawling less frequently in later age have postural defects,
- crawling teaches orientation in space, distance assessment,
- stimulates speech development.
How to support crawling?
Of course, the parent is not able to guarantee by appropriate actions that the child will begin to crawl, but it can significantly increase the chance for this. between 9 and 10 months of age.
The most important is frequent putting the baby on his tummy, putting on comfortable, non-binding movements of costumes and active fun together, so that the toddler likes to lie on the floor.
The parent should spend time with the baby on the rug, lie down in front of him and encourage movement, as well as placing interesting toys so as to encourage the child to reach for them.
When the toddler begins to crawl (pre-crawling stage), it is worth creating an obstacle course on the floor, playing races on the floor, reaching for "escaping" crawling toys or ordinary stuffed animals, connect balls with a string, etc.
When a toddler spends time on the floor, it is also worth taking care of its cleanliness, carefully and often cleaning it. The idea is that when exploring the world, the child does not put staples from a paper clip or other sharp object in his mouth.
In this article, we treat 'quadrupling' and 'crawling' as synonyms. Increasingly, these terms are understood in this way. Meanwhile, in classic sources, crawling is pushing backwards with your handles, and quadrupling is coordinated and alternating mixing forward on your knees and hands.